Larvik Museum

Last night whilst we waited for the brief blanket of darkness to fall, my friend L spied a cove from the Farrisbad roof top.  'THERE! That is where we'll swim tomorrow.' It is a lazy day for me today. I slept late, went back to sleep, swam only a few laps in the deliciously cold water before I took myself off to scarper up a cliff face to an abandoned turret, then down to the local museum. 

There is very little I love professionally more than a well organised and accessible heritage space.  Fortunately, not far from Brongetta Street, there is just this: a charming county history museum that forms one of three in the town (the other being the Count's home and the church that the first count (the illegitimate son of the Danish king) had built for his third wife, imported from Holland in 1642 to strengthen trade ties.  That will be a walk for tomorrow, especially as the Count's house has specific tour times. We spa hard in the morning, so my plan is to make the 2pm tour. 

The curator gives me a history of the space itself and of the region, explaining why Larvik became so strategic and wealthy. The river Farris, joining two fjords meant that once the coast line had well and truly logged, the Danish could go inland and transport from the interior of the country, as well as set up farmland.  Saw and grain mills were put up along the rivers, as well as iron mills, with ore being supplied from Arundel (yes, that Arundel). The exhibition is informative without being overwhelming and the artefacts are engaging. A small selection but thoughtfully chosen.   My friend L mentions that Southern Norway is the bit religious and a bit red-neck. I laugh and say that must be why I feel so comfortable being 'other' here. These are the places I've tended to find myself, standing out without meaning to. 

The learning space is expansive and well designed and can easily be converted into event space. The upstairs has a further exhibition on the town's transition into the modern era, drawing the inevitable and necessary comparisons between the turn of the 20th century to the 21st Century.  A small curtained area houses a 'cinema' space for 20, whilst there is a larger community engagement space for 75, with a piano for concerts and a projector.  The eaves have been properly sealed, so can be used for further display or storage and the entire space makes me want to work with students on large scale history projects.  

There isn't much in the way of a gift shop but what is there is well chosen and well produced. I leave with a reproduction of a map (being a sucker for cartography and a good port city), feeling inspired and pleased with my holiday choices.  Strange to think I'll be back in the UK on Sunday only be back at the airport on Monday.  Unless...I suppose the ground could shift again. 

Comments

Popular Posts