Larvik Edition Reads, Part I: _An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good_, by Helene Tursten


I left _The Recognitions_ at home on my bedside table, taking a sabbatical from the sabbatical. Technically, I read this in London, at the start of the trip. I was staying in one of my favourite hotels, curled up on the huge bed, feeling very small but at the same time safe. Kit Kemp, it turns out, is the same age as my mother would be. Is that why I like these hotels so much, because they feel a bit like home? The only one of those I have now is my  own. 

This collection of was an impromptu register purchase at Red Lion. I mean, it was a must, really.  Soho Crime consistently surprised and delights me.  I read the stories gently, without expecting much to sink in.  I'm just letting my brain cool off, so much in danger of overheating, overthinking. A cool wash cloth on my forehead. 'Hush now. You'll be fine.'

Maud is a card, to be sure. Dangerous. Easily overlooked. Intentionally downplayed. Deadly. I wonder if I have the capacity to be a Maud or if my continued desire for equanimity and balance would override murderous intent. I don't know how calculating I could be but I do love the way Maud moves through the stories, a sly cunning, a cold stare. 


Comments

Popular Posts