Timelines

How is it only 2 months ago that this is where we were? That within minutes of filling out a form, I'm in touch with an assisted living search service. By the end of the call, I'm booked in to your 8 facilities. I flash back to a house-hunting in 2015, at the 41 houses, the checklists, the pros and cons lists. I can do this. Logistics is one of my strengths. 
So what is the goal? Today, right now, to get him well enough to be able to travel to the UK, so I can look after SSG Howse there.  Of course, that's today. A visa, a slow boat, why not?  Friday we meet with the vascular surgeon and Tuesday with Oncology at the VA. Today, he discovered he's on a 'No Sodium' diet and he was not a happy camper.  

'Look at me. I'm a walkin' skeleton. Y'all want me to put on weight but nothing tastes any good with seasoning. I'm already dyin'.'

I sigh. 'Daddy, we'll ask about an estimated time of departure at the appointments. If they say 6 month, a year, you can eat what ever you want.'

He looks over at me. 'Really?'

'Yes, sir. You can eat what you want and die how you want. I promise.' I squint out the window, the evening sky emerging behind a haze of humidity.  He reaches for my hand with his wizard's talon. 'I promise.'

At least I can live up the occssional promise, walk my walk. That's something, right? He wanted to die at the VA and it looks everyday that is where it will happen.  Maybe even on General Patton's watch. One more reason to hate on that dude.


Comments

Popular Posts