Shedding skin

It has taken just over a year but I woke up this AM with a sense of 'Huh. Something has definitely shifted for the better, my heart doesn't ache and I am not sick with uncontrollable uncertainty...' It is a feeling of self-contentment. Self-reliance. Self-trust. All I can do is what I do.  Life will continue to line and plot the map of my life on my body, Time will continue lead me forward  until it doesn't, until I don't move forward.  Ashe, dust, elemental decomposition. 

These moments when we can inventory the loss for what we gain, are rich and searing.  My daughter flicks her hair the way mother did, the way I do. I rock back on my heels, standing at ease the way my father used to do, back when he walked.

I will turn my face into the crook of a neck of someone I love with certainty, the way I did that time I fell in love in the February snow, that perfect first kiss. I shed my own skin, moving further along towards those moments that are both the most mundane and exquisite. 


Comments

Popular Posts