I took a to a phone Friday night with a mallet, not really thinking through the consequences. Later, I thought of this poem, as I stood in the aftermath of fine glass dust and the smell of a lithium battery a rolling fog around me. 

“From Out the Cave” by Joyce Sutphen, Straight Out of View

When you have been

at war with yourself

for so many years that

you have forgotten why,

when you have been driving

for hours and only

gradually begin to realize

that you have lost the way,

when you have cut

hastily into the fabric,

when you have signed

papers in distraction,

when it has been centuries

since you watched the sun set

or the rain fall, and the clouds,

drifting overhead, pass as flat

as anything on a postcard;

when, in the midst of these

everyday nightmares, you

understand that you could

wake up,

you could turn

and go back

to the last thing you

remember doing

with your whole heart:

that passionate kiss,

the brilliant drop of love

rolling along the tongue of a green leaf,

then you wake,

you stumble from your cave,

blinking in the sun,

naming every shadow

as it slips.



And now, I'm stumbling out of my cave to become a labradoodle of leisure. I've not ever had a proper gap year before, even when I tried, I only lasted about six weeks, including after Fanglet's demise, but I'm going to give it a try. Apparently, it will involve a lot of walking and eating gorgeous food, .  I may have just discovered crispy carrot fries. I didn't even know that could be a thing. 

My first celebratory move on this new adventure was a second date Tuesday evening. An evening of good food: cod in squid ink and duck breast with a 'dirty mash' that involved brisket. Later, a sweet kiss good night. It was a novel delight to realise I could still experience butterflies, that I can still blush and allow myself to lean into another person.  I don't know that it will go anywhere, but after the last few years in my watchtower, it's quite a thing that I am even allowing myself to entertain the possibility of possibility. 

And I suppose that's what the next part of the journey is about: the possibility of possibility. It's a bit of a moveable feast of emotions, to be honest. Relieved, excited, bereft, heartbroken. The possibilities abounds, both blessing and warning shot.

Comments

Popular Posts